I love running on a treadmill first thing in the morning, for me it’s a great way to start my day, it makes me energized and active throughout the whole day but I noticed that it made me flat everywhere, I mean sure the number on the scale was perfect but I did not feel that my body is in the shape that I want.
After getting help from fitness coaches, now I know the right way to preform cardio without loosing body muscles. Some fitness experts might tell you to not preform cardio altogether to stop loosing muscles but that is wrong.
I think the rule here is to not do cardio excessively, moderation is key. Now the one thing we need to focus on is how long and how often should we preform cardio?
· Preform a three 30 minutes cardio workouts each week
· Preform cardio on the days that you don’t have strength training or preform it after your strength workouts to have save your energy for heavy lifting and help the muscle growth.
· Preform HIIT (high intensity interval training), its proven that sprinting on a treadmill or any other cardio machine helps with the muscle growth and it will get your heart rate to the roof.
· Add incline to your cardio session to keep challenging your muscles, this is a very effective way that helped me build my leg.
· have a sufficient nutrition plan. Your meals should include complex carbs, lean protein and healthy fats because you need to feed the muscle not the other way around.
So bottom line you can enjoy doing your cardio but keep in mind the above tips. The one thing you need to focus on is nutrition, it is key to keeping you muscle while preforming cardio. So get the right amount of carbs before your workout an eat protein…. you will keep your muscles.